Build Your Own Crystal Radio
Our staff scientists worked long and hard to develop a crystal radio kit that will make your project successful and avoid the many problems of the “toy store” crystal radios. You will learn the basic circuit elements required for receiving radio signals, and you will be able to listen to AM radio broadcasts with something you made yourself!
What makes this crystal radio different from all of the others?
- Easy-to-understand instructions on our website, designed for beginners, with lots and lots of pictures.
- A pre-assembled amplifier/speaker unit and connecting cable, which enables you to hear stations much, much more easily than with a little ceramic earbud. (Unfortunately, a crystal radio cannot work with a modern smartphone’s earphones.) The speaker is especially helpful when testing the radio. For example, you can hear whether moving the antenna improves reception while you are actually making the changes.
- Predrilled holes, which make it easy to assemble.
- A pre-punched coil form made from heavy cardboard tubing, not a toilet paper tube. This material will stand up to practically anything imaginable, and the pre-punched holes make it extremely easy to wind the coil.
- Professional-quality, nickel-plated brass clips for all connections, making them secure without the need for soldering.
- Wire for the outdoor antenna, which many others charge extra for.
Follow the detailed instructions in the Science Buddies project Build a Crystal Radio, then experiment to see how many AM stations you can receive, how far they are from your location, and the radio frequency they are broadcasting on.
Learn by building a high-quality kit that gives fun results!
|Leaves our warehouse:
||Shipments leave our warehouse within 1 business day (Monday – Friday). UPS Next Day, 2-Day, and 3-Day orders received before 2pm EST will ship the same day.
||Orders are delivered via UPS Monday-Friday (not including holidays). This product ships from our Georgia warehouse. For approximate ground shipping times, click here
||Place the item in your cart and use our Shipping Cost Estimator.
Email this product to a Friend